February 13, 2014

The Magic Avocado Sandwich

Magic, I say? Yes, yes I do. This open-faced sandwich qualifies in my book. It's simple, fairly nutritious, quick, and best of all… tasty. It's one of my all time, best ever, favorite things to eat.

Anyone who knows me well, knows I usually have an avocado lying about. I love them! I use them in practically everything, from breakfast to desserts. I even managed to make an Avocado Key Lime Pie (so good, by the way. Try it out!). If you've never given the avocado a chance, I beg you to change your mind…

Avocado, Tomato and White Cheddar Sandwich,
topped with a poached egg

I make this open-faced sandwich at least twice week, on average. Most often as a quick lunch (or breakfast), or an easy dinner when the Hubs is away. This hits the spot any time, I promise. I add variety with different cheeses or breads. Sometimes I add a poached egg. Or a fried egg. It all depend on my mood of the moment. 

To get started, you need: 


An avocado, of course! Also, your bread of choice. This time, I was using a local roll called a semmel, which I picked up at our bakery. You can just as easily use an English muffin, biscuit, wheat bread, anything really. Add a tomato to your pile, along with your favorite mustard (please use Dijon, pretty please?!). Oh, and some mayonnaise if you like. And an egg, though that's totally optional. And cheese! 

    
I vary my cheese choice based on what's in my fridge. This time I chose the white cheddar, but any kind of cheese is fine. 

The process is simple: 



1. Toast your bread

2. Spread bread with mustard / mayonnaise (Confession: I sometimes use both!)

3. Slice your avocado, and place a single layer on the bread 

4. Thinly slice your tomato, and place in a single layer on top of the avocado

5. Salt and pepper your tomato, if desired (trust me, you definitely desire this)

6. Top tomato with slices of your favorite cheese

7. Place the open-faced sandwich underneath your broiler until the cheese is melted

8. Eat! 

9. Thank ArmyLife for introducing the magic avocado sandwich to you

10. Repeat steps 1-9 as often as needed (I find twice a week to be my perfect number!)



Of course, you can also customize this recipe as needed. If I'm having a breakfast sandwich, I add poached egg. Want to know a secret? I sometimes add the egg for lunch and dinner too. It's nom nom, yum yum, goooooooood...

But because poaching an egg is a pain in the you-know-what, I use these simple cups from Amazon:




The egg poaches perfect every time with no muss, no fuss. Of course, you can always do this the old fashioned way as well. I've had varying degrees of success with this method, but I have high hopes that one day I'll get it just right. Or not. Hence the cups.

With the egg, your sandwich should look a bit like this:



So, slice into your awesome, magical avocado sandwich! Once you've eaten it, it's hard to go back to a regular sandwich. I LOVE how simple this is, and how filling. Try it out, people!! Listen to ArmyLife.

Until next time, happy cooking! I'll be back soon with more recipes.




Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife






No comments:

Post a Comment