September 5, 2012

And so it begins...

Yep. It's that time of year again...

FOOTBALL SEASON. 

The Hubs and I don't get along during football season. You see, I root for the best football team there is, the reigning Superbowl Champions... the NY Giants.

That's right, I'm a Giants fan (no hating please, I've been a fan since I first learned what football was!). I've spent many years waiting for my team just to make it to the Superbowl. You have no idea how happy I am since they've not only made it, but won several times in the past years.

The Hubs, on the other hand, must hang his head in shame. Naturally, he's hoping that his team will stomp all over my beloved Giants, and possibly give him a few bragging rights.

Not gonna happen, people.

Tonight is the night. TONIGHT, our teams are the opening game for the NFL season. That's right... tonight, it's the Giants vs. the Cowgirls. Oh, excuse me, I meant the Cowboys. Really!


A storm is brewing here tonight!

The Hubs and I are both pretty vocal about our football teams... so, just to make sure we don't injure each other, we've invited some friends to witness the event. I'm desperately missing my fellow Giants fan, Jackie, this year. I could always count on her to scream just as loud as me! Who will do a victory dance with me when the Giants trounce those Cowgirls??

Sigh.

Jackie may not be here in person this year, but I'm darn sure she's rooting on the Giants back home. We'll be mirror images, each in front of our own TVs, hooting and hollering...

Ok, so I'm a wee bit dramatic on game day.

The closer we get to kickoff, the more pumped I get. Generally, I distract myself in the kitchen, cooking up our favorite game-day treats. For this momentous occasion, I'm making my Jackie-inspired Buffalo Chicken Dip. Of course, man cannot live on Buffalo Dip alone, so we'll have a veggie tray and my yummy BBQ Chicken Pizza too. 

BBQ Chicken Pizza

You can check out the pizza recipe by following the link. Today, I'm going to show you how to make the dip that's perfect for all sporting events. This dip never has leftovers; it's completely addicting! The best part is it's sheer simplicity. Anyone, anywhere can make this dip.

Buffalo Chicken dip

Nom nom nom nom.... just seeing the picture makes me salivate. Thank goodness I get to eat it soon!

The ingredients are basic:


Shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, hot sauce, cream cheese, sour cream, and dry ranch dressing mix. The chips and celery are for the dipping!

For your chicken, there are lots of options. You can poach your own chicken breast (about 2), then shred the chicken to make 2 cups worth. This is what I do. If I have extra chicken, I use it later in the week for chicken salad!

BUT, if you don't want to do that, you can always buy a rotisserie chicken (already cooked, bonus!) and shred that. OR, if you're desperate, you can use canned.

So, chicken dilemma solved. Onward!

The first step is to gather your ingredients. Then, add the cream cheese (2 blocks) to a pot over medium heat. Pour the hot sauce (I use Frank's, it's the best!) right on top. You can use 1/2 cup, or 3/4 cup hot sauce. It's all about you, and how much heat you can handle.

Yeah, I use 1/2 cup. I'm a wimp like that.



 Stir that around until well-combined. The dip looks a little gross at this point (see above), but it's worth it, I swear.

Next, you're going to add everything else! Stir in the sour cream (8oz. but I sometimes use more), the shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup), the ranch mix (1oz.), and the chicken (2 cups). I was making a double-batch when I took these pictures, so don't worry if your dip looks smaller.


And.... you're done!

Seriously.

That's it.

Stir for a minute or two, so everything warms up, then spoon the dip into your serving dish. Surround with chips, celery, crostini, whatever you like for dipping. Personally, I think celery is the best!

Then be prepared to re-fill the dish often. I usually make a double-batch, the dip goes that fast!! Try this one time, and you'll be making it for all your parties. It's that good.


Mmmmmm.... I'm going to make mine right now! But I'll keep you posted on the game.

Go Giants!!! 


* Update: The Giants lost to the Cowboys, final score 24-17. I am investing in a good pair of ear plugs, so I can't hear the Hubs taunting me all week!! The rematch is scheduled for October 28th, in Dallas. The Giants will win that one (I hope!) 


The Standard Form:


Buffalo Chicken Dip


Ingredients:

2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (about 2 breasts)
2 (8 oz. each) blocks of cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) container of sour cream
½ - ¾ cup Frank’s hot sauce
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 packet (1 oz.) powdered ranch dressing mix

Directions:

Cook the chicken using your preferred method, then shred or finely chop. (I prefer poaching the chicken breast and then using two forks to shred it).

Add the cream cheese and hot sauce to a crockpot or a heavy pot on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-high and stir until the cream cheese melts and is combined with the hot sauce. Once smooth and creamy, add the sour cream. Combine thoroughly, and then add in the powdered ranch dressing mix, again stirring until combined. Finally, add the cheddar cheese and shredded chicken. 

Lower the heat. Warm over medium-low heat until the cheddar cheese is melted and the dip is hot.

Serve with tortilla chips, celery sticks, bread cubes, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment