June 5, 2014

Insalata Caprese

Whenever the Hubs is away, I revert back to simple comfort recipes like Welsh Rarebit or my Magic Avocado Sandwich. This Insalata Caprese is another of my quick, go-to dishes.



With the ingredients on hand, I can be eating in just a few minutes, that's how easy this is! This is what you need to get started: 


A couple Roma tomatoes, fresh basil, balsamic glaze (or reduction), olive oil, salt and pepper, and most importantly… you need fresh mozzarella. Please, please, please don't buy that vacuum sealed stuff. Fresh mozzarella is stored in water, and it is oh so delicious. 

You gotta trust me here, peeps. Without the fresh mozzarella there is no point in making this dish. It wouldn't even be close to the same. 

So, now that I've given you my standard mozzarella lecture, let's get to it! 

This dish is all about layers. Start with a layer of sliced Roma tomatoes, then top each tomato slice with a layer of basil leaves. On top of that, place a slice of fresh mozzarella (see how I sneak that in again?). Sprinkle the fresh mozzarella with some salt and pepper. Then sprtiz with a little extra virgin olive oil (I use my handy Misto for this). Drizzle it all with some balsamic glaze, and then you're ready to eat… 


How easy is that?! 

While I often have this as my lunch, this is also a great appetizer. I always whip up a batch for girls' night or when I have family visiting. No muss, no fuss. And the flavors are fantastic! 



As always, the standard recipe is below. Until next time, happy cooking!


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife

Email me: armylifefromthewife@gmail.com



The Standard Form: 

Insalata Caprese

Ingredients:

2 Roma tomatoes, evenly sliced into 8 pieces
8 fresh mozzarella medallions or slices (1, 8 ounce fresh ball, sliced)
Fresh basil leaves
Olive oil
Balsamic glaze
Fresh ground black pepper
Salt

Directions:
  
Place the tomato slices on the plate, arranged in whatever pattern you prefer. Place one or two basil leaves over each tomato slice. Top each piece with a slice of fresh mozzarella. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then spritz with a bit of olive oil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.

Serve and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment