August 28, 2014

DIY Taco Seasoning

Have you ever looked at the back of a taco seasoning packet? Like, specifically at the ingredient list? It isn't pretty, my friends.


The ingredients list varies greatly depending on what brand you choose. The one on the left (above) is Old El Paso brand, and the one on the right is McCormick's. As you can see, they are very different. This is why it's so important to read your labels. Or, just make your own!

The Hubs and I are slowly eliminating processed foods from our life. Yes, I do most of the work, but the Hubs is on board. I want to know what is in my food. I don't want artificial flavors or chemicals or any other crazy ingredients. It is very hard to change your whole life overnight. So instead, we pick one thing and change that. After we've mastered one new thing, we add another.

This week it was taco seasoning. Death to pre-packaged seasoning mixes!


The ingredients 


This might look like a lot of ingredients, but it's all spices you probably have in your cabinet anyway. I tested this by asking my pal Michelle, and she had everything except the cornstarch. Honestly, the cornstarch is used only as a thickening agent so you can do without if necessary.




The directions for this are so easy, even the Hubs can do it! You just mix all your spices together, and viola! Instant taco seasoning. We use 2 tablespoons of chili powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, 1 ½ teaspoons paprika, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon coriander, a pinch of cayenne pepper (more if you like things spicier), and 1 teaspoon cornstarch.


When you make your taco beef, add 5 tablespoons of this seasoning mix for every pound of meat, along with ¾ cup of water. Simmer until the sauce thickens and the water is gone. Just like the kind you buy at the store!

This recipe makes enough for 2lbs of ground beef. The Hubs and I like leftovers, so I always use a whole batch. OR, I double (sometimes triple!) the recipe, and I keep it tightly sealed in an empty spice container. Then I don't have to make it every time we want tacos, I just grab it out of the cabinet.

Give it a try yourselves, peeps. Change up the mix, adding more of what you like or less of what you don't. And let me know how it goes for you.

Until next time, happy cooking!


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife

Email me: armylifefromthewife@gmail.com



The Standard Form:


Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon coriander
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Directions:


Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Store tightly covered in an empty spice jar.  5 tablespoons of seasoning is used for each pound of ground beef. Brown your meat, drain the fat, and then add the 5 tablespoons of seasoning along with ¾ cup of water. Stir to combine. Allow to simmer until sauce thickens and clings to meat. Add more seasoning for a spicier dish, and less for a milder dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment