March 15, 2014

Oil Pulling, Part 1

Over the last several years, I've become much more focused on my health. Specifically, on what goes into my food, and what my body might be absorbing. These changes are difficult to make all at once. I'm sure you know what I mean! It's hard enough to keep a New Years resolution, much less a huge lifestyle change.

So, I decided to pick one thing at a time, and change that. Once I've mastered the mini-goal, I move on to the next one. Hopefully, all these mini-goals will add up to make a big difference. 

If you follow my Facebook page (if you're not, you totally should!), you know I started some smaller goals when the Hubs was deployed. I take my vitamins everyday, after I did some careful research on which ones will make a difference for me. I actually get the most benefit from coconut oil, which isn't technically a vitamin, but I take it nonetheless. If you're looking for a great company to get vitamins and supplements from, check out Swanson Vitamins, I love their site. 



Of course, I've also been walking my dog everyday (though I've slipped occasionally there), and reading my devotions everyday, among a whole host of other things. I even started making my own brown sugar scrub, which I LOVE.

Brown Sugar Scrub

My new goal is to try oil pulling for 30 days. If I find it benefits me, then I'll continue the practice indefinitely.

What exactly is oil pulling? I know you're wondering. 

From what I understand, oil pulling originated in India, and has been practiced for a super long time. I know that's not very scientific of me, but I'm just starting to learn about this technique. Supposedly, the oil pulls toxins and bacteria from the mouth, which are then spit out. This can improve such conditions as bad breath, bleeding gums, insomnia, migraines, acne and other skin conditions, ulcers and stomach conditions, nerve diseases, and arthritis. AND, this is supposed to be a natural teeth whitener as well. 

Your oil choice makes a difference, with most articles recommending either sunflower or sesame oil, with an option for coconut oil. 


Because I always have unrefined coconut oil on hand, this is what I'm using in my experiment. I began with a tablespoon of oil. If you've used coconut oil before, you know that it's a solid consistency at room temperature. Placing that in my mouth was a little scary, but after the first few seconds, the coconut oil responds to the heat in your mouth and melts.  

And then you just swish, swish, swish! You should do this for 20 minutes, but I'm finding it difficult. On day one, I only managed 5 minutes. Today was day two, and I swished a little more than 10. I'm building up to that 20 minute mark. 

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference yet, though my mouth does feel clean after the swishing. Upon spitting out the oil, I rinse very well with water and then move on with my regular morning routine. Quick Tip: If you're using coconut oil like me, don't spit it into your sink because the oil will solidify again in your pipes and clog them up. Spit into the trash instead. 

I'll let you know how the rest of this experiment goes! Have any of you tried oil pulling? Has it worked for you? Please comment and tell me about your experiences. 



Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife


2 comments:

  1. I haven't, but I might give it a try with you...but not sure I'll be able to make the 20 minute mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should do it with me! I made it to 20 minutes today, and I find it gets easier. I actually cleaned my kitchen this morning while I was 'swishing', and it was over before I knew it. Now my only hurdle is spitting it out… I do it (obviously), but it seems really gross and I gag a bit, and even feel a little sick for a minute. I wonder if this is from any toxins I'm finally getting rid of??

      Delete