March 12, 2014

Velburg Fasching Parade 2013

A few days ago, I told you all about Dietfurt's Chinese Fashing.

So, you get the gist of what this celebration is, yes? We all eat, and drink, and party until Lent comes along… and then we get our act together. Velburg's Fasching parade is no different, though we were without the Chinese influence. I like the small town feel of these parades, though next year I might try a bigger city.

I especially like the fact that I can walk home in Velburg. This has its advantages.

The afternoon of the parade, people could be seen wandering into town, and parking became scarce in our little village.

People line the streets, waiting for the parade

This parade was not as crowded as Dietfurt, but that doesn't mean we didn't have just as much fun. In fact, if you're a little leery of crowds or have smaller children, then this might be the right celebration for you. Almost all of our neighbors were there, and a lot of them dressed for the occasion.

Our neighbors dressed for Fasching

The party began with a band, and this funny "detour" sign:


Many of our parade walkers joined the crowd in drinking… while still in the parade!


All of the floats had cup holders for the participants, and they definitely weren't holding apple juice…


As with other parades, candy and popcorn were passed around. Along with mixed drinks and mini bottles of alcohol.


I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Germans know how to have a good time. Pretty sure my facial expression matched this guy's:



The parade held the usual cast of characters, along with a few fun surprises. These Angry Birds used their slingshot to fling treats into the crowd:


This dude was a wee bit scary:


Even Santa made a visit!


The party was great! After, as we headed home for the night, I snuck a quick peek behind me…


I feel kinda bad for whoever had to clean that mess in the morning, but you can definitely tell that a good time was had by all!

I'll be back soon peeps, with tales from my trip to Venice this week. Do any of you have recommendations of sights to see?


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife



No comments:

Post a Comment