March 9, 2014

Adventures with French Press Coffee

This weekend, I finally decided to try out my French press for coffee. I bought this contraption several weeks ago for two reasons:

1. I love coffee.
2. The French press was super cute.

These might not have been the best reasons, but they work for me.

My new French press
Until a few months ago, I didn't even own a coffee maker. This wasn't because I didn't like coffee, but because I like it too much. I wasn't sure I'd be able to control myself if coffee was so readily available in our home. All that changed when we moved to Germany. I'm honestly not sure why, but now I've got a Keurig and a French press.

So, my first attempt at the French press involved a lot of reading directions, and then blatantly breaking the rules. Written at least 4 times in my instruction booklet were the words, "use ONLY coarse ground coffee".

I totally didn't do that.

Instead, I chose to use my favorite coffee, Dunkin Donuts! It's the best, people. You've got to trust me on this. Of course, it's quite finely ground, but I didn't let that stop me.


Also, this was the only coffee I had in the house, and I really wanted to try my French press.

The press was actually much easier to use than expected. Simply measure out the appropriate amount of coffee, add it to the bottom of the press, then top with boiling water. Insert the wire filter/press (but don't push down!!), then seal the top.

Adding boiling water to the press

Sealed press. Coffee is steeping

I let my coffee steep for 4 minutes. The longer you steep, the stronger your coffee will be. At the end of your steeping time, press lightly down on the filter (that round ball thingy sticking out the top). With less coarse coffee, there is a possibility the filter may become clogged, but I didn't have that issue.

Pressing the coffee

You can see from the above photo what the coffee looks like as you press it. The grounds are captured by the filter, and the coffee rises above.

Then, you simply pour your coffee and enjoy!


Side note, I adore these little cookies you see in the photos above. Another of my favorite things about living in Europe!

Truly, this was one of the better cups of coffee I've had at home, even though I broke the rules. The French press seems to create a deeper, richer flavor. Totally worth using, and I plan to do so again and again.

For my fellow coffee fans out there, what are your favorite brewing methods? And for my coffee connoisseur friends (like one of my favorite bloggers, Caffeinated Army Wife), I'm so sorry for being such a goofy novice, ha.

Until next time, my friends!


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife


2 comments:

  1. That looks yummy! I think we need to add this to our "appliances to buy" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, especially since my regular coffee worked out well. Plus, I think it makes me look fancy when I'm not, so I'll probably use it for company, haha!

      Delete